of the A.G.B.U. Parent/Teacher Organization
I - Name
name of this organization shall be the A.G.B.U. Parent/Teacher Organization.
II - Objectives
- To bring into closer relation the home and the
school so that parents and teachers may co-operate intelligently in
the training of the child;
- To co-operate with the school in fostering an
environment which shall develop in the children a sense of cultural
heritage of the highest advantages in physical, social, and spiritual
- To be involved in fundraising for the school.
III - Basic Policies
- The Organization shall be non-commercial, non-sectarian,
- The name of the Organization or the names of
any members in their official capacities shall not be used in any
connect ion with a commercial concern or with any partisan interest
or for any purpose not appropriately related to promotion of the objectives
of the Organization.
- The Organization may cooperate with the sc hool
to support the improvement of education in ways that will not interfe
re with the administration of the school and shall not seek to control
i ts policies;
- The Organization may cooperate with other groups
concerned with child welfare, but persons representing the P.T.O.
in such matters shall make no commitments that bind the P.T.O. organization.
IV - Membership
- All parents of children registered with the school
shall become members of the Organization; li>
- All members should comply with the provisi ons
of the By-Laws.
V - Board of Directors and Their Elections
officers of this Organization shall be President, Vice President,
Secretary and Treasurer;
- Other Board members will consist of two ad visors
and one faculty advisor;
- The new Board members shall assume their d uties
on June 1;
- Board members shall service for a term of one
- Qualifications for the above positions are as
- The candidate for President must be a for mer
- Advisors shall be nominated from the floo r
at the May meeting;
- Faculty advisor shall be selected from am ong
- Nominations for officers shall be made by a committee
on nominations, consisting of three members appointed by the Board
of Directors, (but shall not include the President), at least o ne
month prior to the May meeting;
- Only those persons who have signified their consent
to serve if elected shall be nominated for, or elected to, su ch
- The Nominating Committee shall report the names
at the election meeting;
- These officers shall be elected by ballot at
the meeting to be held each May;
- Nominations shall be accepted from the flo or
as write-in candidates.
- A vacancy occurring in any office shall be filled
for the unexpired term by a person elected by a majority vote of
the members of the Board of Directors;
- If a vacancy occurs in the office of the President,
the Vice-President shall automatically become President.
- Board of Director mem bers
who do not fulfill their duties as explained in these By-Laws and
any subsequent amendments, may be removed from office by a majority
vote of the Board.
VI - Duties of Officers
- All Board Members are required to fulfill any
committee chair vacancies and to submit a monthly report to the newsletter
II. Presidential Duties :
President shall coordinate, preside, a nd prepare an agenda for all
Board of Director meetings;
- The President shall coordinate, preside, a nd
prepare an agenda for all the Parent Teacher Org
anizaiton (P.T.O.) meetings;
- The President shall appoint chair people to fundraising
- The President shall give and take guidance and
assistance to or from Board members;
- The President shall ensure that all By-Law s
are observed or modified to meet current needs;
- Is a member ex-officio of all committees a nd
may chair a committee.
III. Vice Presidential Duti es:
- The Vice-President shall fulfill President ial
duties in the absence of the President;
Vice-President shall serve as a liaiso n to the Parents' League Association
of Independent Michigan Schools (P.L.A.I.M.S.), attend their meetings
and report back of the Board of Directors and Parent Teacher Organization
with a report; < /span>
- The Vice-President shall contact all Board members
of monthly meeting and send out notices to parents of P.T.O. meetings.
Secretary shall keep a written record of the minutes of al Board
of Director and P.T.O. meetings;
- The Secretary shall post notices and maint ain
the P.T.O. bulletin board;
- The Secretary shall be responsible for all outside
- The Treasurer has charge of all the funds of
- (S)he collects all funds and conducts the banking;
- (S)he insures payment of amounts due from invoices;
- (S)he is present at all fundraisers;
- (S)he reconciles the checkbook and any an d
all financial statements;
- (S)he enforces all outstanding bills;
- (S)he prepares a
monthly Treasurer's report.
VII - Meetings
of Director meeting s shall be held monthly,
with four members constituting a quorum.< /p>
Teacher Organization meetings shall be held every other month, with the
Board deciding the date and time of said meetin g.
meetings of this Organization may be called by the President, or upon
the written request of nine members of the Organization, five days notice
having been given.
- Nine members of the Organization shall constitute
a quorum for a general meeting;
- All business approved by the Organization shall
be done by majority rule.
- Order of business shall be:
1.Call to order;
2.Reading and approval of minutes;
3.Report of treasurer;
4.Reading of communications;
VIII - Committees
- Committees shall be created by the Board of Directors
as may be required to promote the objectives and interests of this
committee shall have a chairperson from the Organization and their
term shall be one year.
IV - Parliamentary Authority
Rules of Order (Revised) shall gover n the Organization in all cases.
X - Amendments
By-Laws may be amended at any regular m eeting of the Organization by
a majority vote of the members present and voting, providing a quorum
committee may be appointed to submit a revi sed set of the By-Laws as
a substitution for the existing By-Laws only by a majority vote at a meeting
of the Organization, or by a two thirds vote of the P.T.O. Board of
Directors. The requirements for adoption of a revised set of By-Laws shall
be the same as in the case of an amendment.